10.04.2010

My Review: A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2) -- Sarah Sundin

First off, I'd like to take a moment to apologize to both Sarah, and Revell, for being a little late posting my review.  Last week was very hectic.  My mom, sisters, and aunt decided to have a huge multi-family yard sale yesterday, so I was really busy -- cleaning out closets, kitchen cabinets, my spare *junk* room, etc.  I did make time to read/finish the book though.  We worked hard all day yesterday and managed to make a little over $1200 between 5 families.  We're worn out, but happy!

Moving on to my review.......








A Memory Between Us
(Wings of Glory, #2)
by Sarah Sundin

Historical Romance /
Christian Fiction

Revell Publishing







Back cover synopsis:

Can they overcome the past to find a brighter future together?
 
Major Jack Novak has never failed to meet a challenge--until he meets army nurse Lieutenant Ruth Doherty. When Jack lands in the army hospital after a plane crash, he makes winning Ruth's heart a top-priority mission. But he has his work cut out for him. Not only is Ruth focused on her work in order to support her orphaned siblings back home, she also is determined not to give her heart to any man.

As the danger and tension of World War II rise to a fever pitch, Jack and Ruth will need each other more than ever. Can Jack break down her defenses? Or are they destined to go their separate ways?

From the English countryside to the perilous skies over France, A Memory Between Us takes you on a journey through love, forgiveness, and sacrifice.


What I thought:

 If you read my review of Sarah's first book, A Distant Melody, then you know she quickly became a fave author for me.  I absolutely loved it, and fell in love with the Novak family.  As soon as I finished A Distant Melody, I was already looking forward to reading Jack's story.  Guess what?  Now I can't wait to find out what happens to Ray in Blue Skies Tomorrow!  Alas, I have to wait 'til August 2011 to get my next Novak "fix" -- how will I ever wait that long?  *heavy sigh*  As you've probably already gathered, I enjoyed A Memory Between Us immensely.  Though not quite as good as A Distant Melody, in my humble opinion, it's still a most excellent read, and I highly recommend it.

Jack Novak grew up as his legendary father's namesake and has been lead to believe that he will follow in those hard-to-fill footsteps by becoming a pastor.  Even though he has already been to seminary, he still isn't sure becoming a pastor is in God's plan for his life.  Jack thrives on the action and adventure he lives in on a daily basis with the military, and is starting to consider the possibility of making the military his life-long career.  However, he is hesitant to broach the subject with his father, as he knows he has his heart set on Jack becoming a pastor -- just like Jack's grandfather, father, and older brother, Ray.

Jack and Charlie de Groot, his best friend in the whole world, meet and quickly fall for, two lovely ladies.  As it turns out, both Ruth Doherty and May Jensen are army nurses.  Unfortunately, neither Ruth, nor May, is looking for a relationship.  Ruth has no desire for intimacies of any kind with the opposite sex, due to painful issues from her past, and May is still working through the tragic loss of her fiancé.

Jack doesn't realize it, but he has a BIG problem with pride.  It takes a point-blank observation from Charlie to bring this tendency to Jack's attention.  He denies any such thing, of course, which causes Charlie to make a request that hurts Jack's feelings.  Sadly, Jack's feelings aren't the only thing to be hurt the next time he lets his pride, as well as fears from his past, influence an extremely foolhardy decision he makes during a history-making mission.

This is an emotional, action-packed, historical romance that takes place during WWII.  Even though I am not a fan of war-themed romances, Sarah's books are the exception as they are in no way whatsoever boring or dull.  Thank you for making history enjoyable, Sarah!

To find out more about Sarah Sundin and/or her books, be sure to visit her website or her blog.  Her books are available in most bookstores, or online retailers.  Don't hesitate to get copies of both books -- you'll be SO glad you did!

“Available September 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell,
a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

** Thank you to Donna @ Revell Publishing for providing my copy for review.

4 comments:

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Uh wow! Sounds like I need to come down and have a yard sale with you guys! The most I've ever made was around $200! Sounds liek you guys had fun though. ;-)

XOXO~ Renee

Sarah Sundin said...

You're welcome, Lori :) And thank you for your lovely review. I hope you're coming out from under that crazy week. I totally understand - I've had several of those in a row.

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Ihave an award for you! If you don't have time to post it that's fine I totally understand! :-)

http://steelergirl83.blogspot.com/2010/10/blog-award.html

XOXO~ Renee

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

RENEE - Yard sales are LOTS of work *whew*, but so worth it when they're over! Load up a U-Haul and come on down here. :p

Thanks again for the adorable award!


SARAH - Thanks so much for dropping by! Yes, I am slowly getting back on track - thanks. Hopefully you are, too. :)