5.09.2010

My Review: The Promise of Morning (At Home in Beldon Grove, bk 2) by Ann Shorey


(At Home in Beldon Grove, bk 2)
 by Ann Shorey

Christian Fiction / Historical / Romance

Revell Publishing
Copyright 2010
Pages:  324
ISBN:  978-0800733339


(from Amazon):

Ellie Craig grieves the loss of three infant children, and when long-hidden secrets are brought to light, she must find a way to contact the family of her long-lost father. 

Meanwhile her husband, Matthew, faces controversy in his church and competition from a new arrival in Beldon Grove, who claims to be both a minister and the son of the town's founder. Will Matthew find the courage to reclaim his church? And will his unexpected travel companion help Ellie's heart mend? 

Book two in the At Home in Beldon Grove series, The Promise of Morning engages readers with themes of overcoming tragedy, finding strength to meet daunting challenges, and trusting your heart to love again. 


What I thought:

Before I go any further, let me explain why I love to read.  I am easily stressed by everyday things, and reading is my way of getting away from the "real" world.  I read purely for pleasure, and am usually drawn towards light-hearted, make-you-feel-good romances.  

In case you're wondering why I chose to review The Promise of Morning in the first place, here's the reason  --  one of my New Year's resolutions for 2010 was to read books that are not in my normal "comfort" zone.  I am trying to push myself to try books I would normally never dream of reading.  So far, it's been hit or miss.  I've come across a few that are going on my keeper shelf, as well as, a few I unfortunately wasn't able to finish.

Having explained that, this book falls in the category of me not being able to finish.  I hate that I couldn't read this story in it's entirety, but Matthew and Ellie's story was just too depressing for my tastes.  Based on the part I did read, it felt like the characters were just so stilted, and distant, with one another.  I had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that Ellie's life seemed to have drastically changed with each child lost, while Matthew didn't seem overly concerned.  

Ellie's relationship with her older children was hard for me to swallow.  Maybe it improved later in the book, but she just seemed so distant with them, almost like they weren't even her children.  She went to the other extreme with Julia -- always smothering her, never seeming to let her be a 'normal' child. 

I don't want to be the cause of someone not picking this book up and reading it -- that's not the point of my review.  I just wanted to be honest with my feelings, but at the same time, I encourage you to give it a try for yourself; you never know, you may love it.

If you're interested in finding out more about Ann Shorey, or her other books, be sure to visit her website.

Available March 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.






*** I would like to thank Donna @ Revell Publishing for providing my review copy. ***












Book 1 in the At Home in Beldon Grove series.

4 comments:

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Awww I'm sorry you didn't finish this but I do agree it was a bit depressing but still better than the first. I hope the next book you read out of your comfort zone, you love!

XOXO~ Renee

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Me, too. ;)

I wanted to find out how this one ended, but just couldn't force myself any further.

I never read the first book, if I had, I probably wouldn't have requested this one. Oh well, I tried. :)

{{hugs}}

Ashley (Ibreath2read) said...

Oh boy! I've got the first one on my book shelf but, from what I've heard, I shouldn't attempt reading it without a box of kleenex by me. And I'm not big on crying...over the content of a book, at least.
I did read the first couple pages of Edge of Light and needless to say, I was balling like a baby. What a way to start a book.
Happy mother's day you guys.
Love Ya,
Ashley

Amber Holcomb said...

Thank you for your honest review. I understand about not finishing some books--although I confess my reasons are usually less, well, reasonable. I just tend to get too excited for another book or too bored with the book I'm reading and I don't finish it.

Anyway, thank you again for sharing your thoughts!

~Amber