10.04.2009

Book Review: Love Finds You in Valentine Nebraska by Irene Brand


Love Finds You in Valentine Nebraska
by Irene Brand
(part of the Love Finds You...series)
Summerside Press
Copyright 2008
304 pages / Paperback
ISBN: 9781934770382

After Kennedy Blaine's father dies, she discovers that she has inherited her family's ancestral ranch in Valentine, Nebraska. She decides to see it for herself before she agrees to put it up for sell, even though there is already a buyer waiting in the wings. When Kennedy travels to Valentine to look over the ranch, she meets Derek Sterling, the ranch foreman, and his mother June. When she sees her family's historical home, she falls in love with it and decides to stay through the summer before making her decision.

Once Kennedy moves in, she starts receiving threatening messages telling her to get out and go back to California! She relies on Derek and June's knowledge of the town, and the local townsfolk, for information on who could be behind the threats. However, Kennedy can be a tough gal when she needs to be, and she eventually makes the decision on her own.

Derek tries to protect Kennedy as best he can, with the help of his faithful sidekick Wilson, but parts of his past start coming back to haunt him. Dark secrets that he'd rather keep hidden begin to unravel right before his eyes. There are things that happened in his early teens that he's ashamed of ~ he feels like he is unworthy of forgiveness from others as well as from his Heavenly Father. Derek would rather Kennedy not find out all of his secrets because he's afraid she will go back to California without a backward glance, and he's not sure if/how he'll be able to handle her leaving.

I thoroughly enjoyed Love Finds You in Valentine Nebraska! It was an excellent choice to introduce me to the Love Finds You... series. I thought it was going to be a romance, but there's quite a bit of mystery/suspense involved as well. If you haven't tried any of these books, you should definitely pick up a copy of Love Finds You in Valentine Nebraska ~ you will not be disappointed!

Isn't this cover beautiful? There's Wilson, on the bottom right ~ he's one of my favorite characters in this book! =)

To find out more about Irene Brand, or her other books, please visit her at: www.irenebrand.com.

To order her books, please visit Amazon.com or Christianbook.com

10 comments:

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Hi Lori!

Thank you for the review! I know you sent this to me but I still haven't had the chance to read it yet! I guess I'll have to be moving it up the TBR pile!!!

XOXO~ Renee

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

You're welcome, Renee! I forgot all about writing this review, and never posting it. LOL I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

~ Lori

brizmus said...

I checked out your blog because I saw the sugarandgrits thing in a comment you left, and I am a southerner obsessed with grits. YUM!
Very cool blog - I'm interested in the kind of books you review - totally new to me. :-)

Angie said...

Hmmm, think I will have to put this on my wish list. :D

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Hey Audrey ~

You may be surprised to know...I can't stand grits!!! *gasp* They are so gross! LOL I got my "name" from the title of a Christian Fiction romance anthology. =)

I hope you'll come to love Christian Fiction as much as I do ~ there are some wonderful authors out there. Please come back soon to see what I've been reading lately.

~ Lori

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Hey Angie ~

This is a great book! It moves pretty quickly, so there's no time to be bored. =)

~ Lori

Unknown said...

I have several LFY books on my bookshelf, and I think this is one of them. So far, I've read 2 from the whole series, and this sounds like another one I'd enjoy! Great review!

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

LOL Christy! I have 2 more on my shelf that I haven't gotten to yet. They both sound good, too. This one was great, imo!

~ Lori

The Book Resort said...

Thanks for the gr8 review, Lori.

I must say, I adore the cover.

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

You're welcome, Diane! Yes, this cover is great. =)

~ Lori