2.23.2010

My Review: The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen


by Julie Klassen

Christian Fiction / Historical / Regency / Romance

Publisher:  Bethany House
Copyright 2010
Pages:  448
ISBN:  9780764207075


Olivia Keene is fleeing her own secret. She never intended to overhear his.
 
But now that she has, what is Lord Bradley to do with her? He cannot let her go, for were the truth to get out, he would lose everything--his reputation, his inheritance, his very home.

He gives Miss Keene little choice but to accept a post at Brightwell Court, where he can make certain she does not spread what she heard. Keeping an eye on the young woman as she cares for the children, he finds himself drawn to her, even as he struggles against the growing attraction. The clever Miss Keene is definitely hiding something. 

Moving, mysterious, and romantic, The Silent Governess takes readers inside the intriguing life of a nineteenth-century governess in an English manor house where all is not as it appears.

My Thoughts:

This was my first time reading Julie Klassen's work, but there will be more to come, as I have her first two novels sitting on my shelf just waiting to be read.  I don't know why I've waited so long to give her books a try, because I absolutely fell in love with her characters in The Silent Governess.

Olivia Keene is running for her life when we first meet her, and she's harboring a very self-incriminating secret that could very well cause harm to befall both her and her mother if it's ever made public.  As Olivia is on the run, she overhears another secret, and it lands her in lockup.  Fortunately, Lord Bradley sees fit to have her released and brings her to Brightwell Court, he hires her as an under nurse for his niece and nephews.  Olivia quickly falls in love with her charges, and makes quite a few new friends during her employment.

Lord Bradley, Edward, knows that Olivia is hiding something, and he has his suspicions as to what it might be.  However, he has enough problems trying to find out the particulars of his own potentially life-changing secret, while doing his best to keep it under wraps.  Edward's father, Lord Brightwell, isn't very cooperative with sharing what he knows, so Edward decides to find out what he can on his own.

The Silent Governess revolves around multiple mysteries...family secrets, mysterious blackmail letters, and missing family members are just the beginning.  I thoroughly enjoyed the fast-paced flow of the story.  The characters were really easy to get to know, and I fell in love with Olivia right from the beginning.  Audrey and Andrew are real sweethearts.  Edward was a little hard to get close to, but he was one of my favorite characters by the end.  If you love Regency Romance, then you will really enjoy this book.  Regencies aren't something I normally read, but I'm glad I took the time to read Olivia's story.

To find out more about Julie Klassen, or her books, be sure to visit:
Her website

***I would like to say "thank you" to Jim @ Bethany House for my complimentary review copy.***


CymLowell

11 comments:

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Ha ha ha! Told ya it was goooooood ;-)

XOXO~ Renee

Katy said...

I'm glad you liked it! Julie Klassen is one of my favorite authors! :)

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

@ Renee ~ You were right! Thanks for recommending it. :p

@ Katy ~ Now I'm excited to read her first 2 books! Thankfully they are sitting here just waiting for me to pick them up. :)

{{hugs}}

Ashley (Ibreath2read) said...

I loved Julie Klassen's other book, TAD, and have LOMM on my shelf, begging for me to read it. Ahhh....so many books, so little time....*sighs*
But another great review Lori! I'm really glad you like it!:~D
Love Ya,
Ashley

Julie J. said...

Oh I just love Julie Klassen and thoroughly enjoyed this book! I'm so ready for her to write more already!

You have a beautiful blog here!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I love governess characters! It has been a while since I read a story with a governess and a mystery (unless Henry James' Turn of the Screw) counts, and this one looks really, really worth a try. Thanks for the review, Lori!

Mystica said...

Came over Cym Lowell's Book Review Wednesday. Love the Regency style of books - thats why I read Georgette Heyer! Lovely review and intriguing book. Havent read this author but will keep an eye out for her.
Thank you.

Unknown said...

Great review, I need to read this one asap...sort of reminds me of Jane Eyre, and that's always a good thing. :)

Unknown said...

Probably my favorite book so far this year...and yep, I've got her first two waiting on my shelf, too. :o)

Unknown said...

Not something I would read :) but I enjoy your blog and reading your reviews! Thanks for taking the time to link-up. Your review is a nice addition to the party!

As always, you are one of my favs!

-CYM

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

WOW! Thank you all for dropping by! I'm honored that you took the time to read my review. :)

I love linking to Cym's Book Review Wednesdays...they're so much fun!