6.23.2010

My Review: Seeds of Summer (Seasons of Tallgrass, Bk 2) by Deborah Vogts


Seeds of Summer
(Seasons of Tallgrass, Bk 2)
 by Deborah Vogts

Christian Fiction / Contemporary /
Romance

Zondervan
Copyright 2010
Pages:  320
ISBN:  9780310292760


(from Amazon):
When opposites attract, sparks fly--like an electrical malfunction. That's what happens when former rodeo queen, Natalie Adams meets the new pastor in Diamond Falls. 

Upon the death of her father, Natalie returns to the Flint Hills to raise her two half-siblings and run the family ranch, giving up her dreams for the future. She soon realizes her time in college and as Miss Rodeo Kansas is not enough to break the bonds that held her as a girl. 

Jared Logan, a new pastor in Diamond Falls, is set on making a good impression to his first congregation, but finds that change doesn't come easy for some people. In fact, most in his congregation are set against it. Natalie and her troubled family provide an outlet for his energy and soon become his personal mission project. Having raised her stepbrother and sister from an early youth, Natalie's self-sufficient nature isn't inclined to accept help, especially from a city-boy do-gooder like Jared Logen. Though attracted to him, there's no way she'd ever consider being a pastor's wife. Bible studies and bake sales just aren't her thing. 

Jared repeatedly comes to Natalie's rescue, forcing her to see him with new eyes. At the same time, Jared's plan to plant Christ's word in Natalie's heart backfires when he loses his own heart to this wayward family. When problems arise in his congregation, he must face his greatest fears---of letting down God, his congregation, or those he loves. His time with Natalie has shown him the importance of standing by those you love, a lesson he chose to ignore in order to please his father years ago. This is put to the test when Natalie faces a battle of custody of her half-siblings against the mother who abandoned them twelve years ago. Natalie's fight for the children turns into a fight for custody of her heart as she learns the true meaning of unconditional love. In turn, Jared must decide which dreams are his own---and whether Natalie is part of those dreams. 


What I thought:
As soon as I finished reading the first book in this series, Snow Melts in Spring, I didn't know how I could possibly wait months to read this one.  As it turns out, it wasn't as hard as I expected.  =)  Let me also mention, to those of you that are familiar with my obsession of reading series books in order, there is really no need with these 2 books.  The characters from Snow Melts in Spring are just briefly mentioned in Seeds of Summer.

While this was a really good story, it didn't touch my heart as much as the first one did.  For some reason, I had a really hard time connecting with Natalie.  She just seemed so distant, and even a little selfish, at times.  Initially, I thought we would have quite a bit in common, as I'm the oldest of 4 girls and pretty much helped my Mom raise my 2 youngest sisters.  I guess the fact that my Mom WAS around took out the "common" factor, as I wasn't completely responsible for them like Natalie was her younger half-siblings, Chelsey and Dillon.

I fell in love with Dillon from the beginning, especially the way he was always looking out for Natalie, though he is years younger -- Chelsey, not so much.  She was pretty obnoxious in the beginning, but eventually turned out to be a really sweet girl.  And their mother, Libby, whew!, she is something else.  

On a positive note, I thought Jared was a real sweetheart!  Normally, I think of pastors as being serious, older men -- definitely NOT so in Jared's case.  He is the perfect example of how we should all treat one another, while at the same time doing his best to straighten out his own life.  Jared faces some really tough personal decisions, but doesn't lose sight of the fact that he is a pastor first; before being a son, a friend, or a potential boyfriend/husband.  He takes the time to stop and listen to what God has in mind for him, instead of just continuing to make his own choices -- even though, it might mean not getting what his heart desires most.

If you haven't had the pleasure of reading either of Deborah Vogts books, be sure to drop by and visit her blog, Country at Heart, or her website.

***I would like to say "thank you" to Deborah for sending me a copy of her book.  I would also like to thank Londa Alderink of Zondervan.***

If you'd like to read the first chapter, CLICK HERE.




4 comments:

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

I'm sorry that you didn't like this as much as the first book! I really enjoyed both and I'm hoping Book 3 is just as good! Nice review as always ;-)

XOXO~ Renee

Deborah Vogts said...

Hi Lori, Thanks for posting your review of Seeds of Summer. Many blessing to you & your readers.

Angie said...

I have the first book and hope to read it soon. Sounds like it's a pretty good series. Thanks for sharing. :)

Robin Sampson said...

Thanks for the review. Always on the look out for a new author. Just posted My Christian Fiction Recommendations for Summer Reading http://ow.ly/23D2n