9.14.2009

Book Review: Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections Series, Book 2) by Tamera Alexander


Beyond This Moment
(Book 2, Timber Ridge Reflections Series)
by Tamera Alexander
Bethany House Publishers
(a division of Baker Publishing Group)
Copyright 2009
394 pages
ISBN: 9780764203909


I just finished reading Beyond This Moment and all I can say is...WOW!!!! This is now, by far, my favorite Tamera Alexander book!! I absolutely loved it! It's even better than Daniel and Elizabeth's story, From a Distance (Book 1). Please, please, please rush out and get your own copy ~ you will not be disappointed!

From the back cover:

When Dr. Molly Whitcomb, Professor of Romance Languages, steps off the train in Colorado Territory, she makes a choice ~ one that goes against everything she stands for. Yet it's the only choice that offers her a chance to regain a fraction of all she's lost.

Sheriff James McPherson's instincts about people rarely miss the mark. He senses Professor Whitcomb is hiding something. he just doesn't know what. When James learns Molly's secret, his own reputation is undermined. And when Molly Whitcomb's reinvented life begins to unravel, it threatens his job, the stability of Timber Ridge, and what he always knew to be true about himself.

When Molly Whitcomb is forced to leave her position as a Professor at Franklin College in Athens, GA, and take a teaching position in the town of Timber Ridge, located in Colorado Territory, she is less than enthusiastic. As we learn more about why Molly has come to Timber Ridge, the more we understand why she felt she had to make the choices she did. Very quickly, Molly realizes the secrets she carry are going to hurt the kind people she's already met. As she looks deep inside her heart, she realizes that she not only blames herself for her current predicament, she blames God as well. Why didn't He see fit to keep these things from happening to her? As we follow Molly on her journey, we eventually understand why it was in God's plan to lead Molly to Timber Ridge.

The very first time Sheriff James McPherson lays eyes on Molly Whitcomb, as she steps off the train in Sulfur Falls, he feels something he's never before felt for any woman. The feeling grows the more he gets to know her, but he feels that she's not being completely honest and honesty has always been important to him. However, James has secrets from his own past that have been gnawing at him for quite some time. He also has additional burdens that are weighing on him as he worries about how to keep his sister, Rachel Boyd, and her two sons, safe from the constant threats he feels as the Sheriff of Timber Ridge.

Beyond This Moment is a very emotional book, in my opinion. Neither Molly, nor James, realize the extent of hurt that could come from the secrets they carry. I laughed and cried (mostly cried!) right along with them. There are quite a few secondary characters that add depth to this story, and I enjoyed getting to know them as well...most of them anyway!

This is a wonderful continuation of Tamera Alexander's Timber Ridge Reflections series. I can hardly wait to see what happens next in, Within My Heart, which will be Dr. Rand Brookston and Rachel Boyd's story.

To find out more about Tamera, and her books, visit her at www.tameraalexander.com.

To purchase her books, visit Amazon.com or Christianbook.com

CymLowell

13 comments:

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

I knew this book would be good...it is by Tamera Alexander after all! :-) She's got to be one of my favorite Christian authors! I can't wait to read this!!!!

XOXO~ Renee
http://steelergirl83.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Lori,

This sounds really good. I have never read anything by Tamera Alexander. I have her first series on my bookshelf...have you read that one? Any opinion about it?

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Hey Renee, I thought you'd already read this one?? You are going to LOVE it!! I cried throughout the whole book...it's a very touching story. I wish I could send it to you, but it's Whitney's book ~ sorry!

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Hey Christy, this book is awesome! Oh my goodness, yes, ALL of Tamera's books are great! You should definitely move her books to the TOP of your TBR pile ~ you will not be disappointed. :)

Be sure you read From a Distance (book 1) first though...most of the same people are in Beyond This Moment.

Angie said...

sounds like a great book...I think I might have book one on my TBR shelf..I'll have to look.

Thanks for another great review. :)

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Nope I haven't read this...this is the only book that I don't have or have read by her! Don't worry I'll get it somewhere LOL!

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Hey Angie...I'm so glad you dropped by! You should definitely "dig" out book 1, From a Distance, and read it ~ it's great, too! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it...I hope so anyway! LOL

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Awww, Renee, I'll keep an eye out for you a copy of it. I can't wait for you to read it, too! You're going to LOVE it!

Love ya ~ Lori

Margaret Metz said...

I can't believe I haven't read any of her books. If you all think she's that good, I'll have to add her to my list. I'm a little worried when you say that you cried a lot though ~ I don't like books that depress or frustrate me the whole time.

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Hey Lee ~ I wasn't crying due to depression or frustration! I just felt so close to Molly's character that it's like I could feel her pain...does that make sense, or sound corny?? Maybe I should give you a little background on myself, so you'll see where I'm coming from.

My hubby & I have been married for 9 yrs. (in June) ~ we tried for over 5 yrs. to get pregnant, but never did. We were very upset/emotional for a looooong time, but have finally realized that God does indeed know what He's doing! We now understand that children may not be for us...we've discovered that neither of us have a lot of patience when it comes to other peoples children, so how would we deal with our own 24/7?? LOL I guess it just resonated with me since Molly is pregnant in this story. You may not even cry! :)

Please, please don't let me be the cause of you not reading this book ~ believe me, it's well worth your time! I'm sorry for going on and on, but I wanted to explain why it affected me so much.

Thanks for dropping by!

Margaret Metz said...

I get what you're saying. I have connected like that with books too.

Let me tell you the reason I asked is that I read a book once (and I won't say which one) where the characters just got beat up over and over again (sometimes without even a chapter between). I know tension and conflict in a story is a good thing, but I felt... emotionally drained reading this book. Just when I thought they had recovered from one bad event and could build toward their future something else would happen. It was like being in a series of increasingly violent car wrecks. I wanted to give up in the middle but I had promised my friend I would read it - so I did.

I'll put the book on my list. :o)

Lori (sugarandgrits) said...

Wow! I couldn't imagine a book with that much conflict/tension to be very enjoyable! I don't know that I could have finished it ~ probably would have just skimmed thru the rest?? :)

Beyond This Moment is nothing like that!

Unknown said...

I love a book that can stir emotions. Nice review as always. Very well written.

Thanks for linking this review to the party.

-CYM